Our First Week of our 4th Year of Homeschooling ;-)

So the girlz and I just started our first week of our 4th year of homeschooling! We're already having so much fun & we really enjoying learning together. The past 2 years, we've used a curriculum called My Father's World and have really loved it. But this year we are taking a break and are doing Prairie Primer which is based on the Little House on the Prairie books. My girlz looove Little House on the Prairie so I thought this would be a great time to try the Prairie Primer curriculum. We will read one Little House on the Prairie book a month and all of our history, science, art, Bible study and writing will be based around topics from the books.

There are a few things we'll be skipping over that are in the curriculum like blowing up a pig's bladder like a balloon, eating venison and baking cracklings in cornbread! But there's lots of other fun things we'll be doing and we're so excited to get started! Here's a few pics from our first week...

The girlz looove getting new school supplies...
"A" working on handwriting...
Snack time...
We store school work that we want to save in pizza boxes. (They stack easily and are a great size for keeping things! We buy our pizza boxes at Arris' Pizza. I like them because they are white with just a little bit of writing on the top that we can cover with paper. They sell them to me for $3.50 for 6 boxes.) The girlz decorate a new box every year and we put their favorite things in their boxes. Here's "M" decorating her box...

And here's "A's" box. I love the strategically placed stickers...
Painting log cabins (containers that held blackberries we picked earlier this summer)...
Putting together miniature teepees...

While making our teepees, I found some pretty neat Indian music to listen to at pandora.com. You'll be able to find it if you do a search for "Indian flute radio". It's really peaceful and calming to listen to. Fortunately, the girlz stayed awake while it was playing but it almost put me to sleep! ;-)




Our Native American and Prairie villages...
I found these miniature characters at Owasso's Classroom Corner. It's called "Wild West Toob" and can also be found at amazon.com here.
Not real sure why some are on the roofs ;-)
We look forward to everything we'll be learning this school year based on the Little House books!

1 comment:

  1. I am so thrilled that I stumbled across your blog! I heard about the Little House curriculum a couple of months ago, and was intrigued with the idea of using it for my three girls. As I was doing some research tonight, I found your blog, and I am completely amazed and grateful that you have posted so many helpful resources regarding the curriculum!! You have taken the "scary" out of diving into something new! Thank you so much! :o) Are there any extra tips you've found helpful that you could pass on regarding teaching multiple ages? My girls will be 2nd and 1st graders, as well as Pre-K this Fall (2011-2012). Also, what did you use for Math? Please feel free to email me directly! Thank you!

    Nelina

    ReplyDelete